[Libreoffice-qa] Existing German translation in Moztrap

Yifan Jiang yfjiang at suse.com
Wed Nov 20 00:27:37 PST 2013

Hi Thomas,

On Wed, Nov 20, 2013 at 07:47:34AM +0100, Thomas Hackert wrote:
> >     1. the UI level
> >
> >     The content is relatively "static" in moztrap *code*, usually
> >     *translated* word by word.
>
> What does "code" in this context mean? I need to use a programming
> language like C++, JS, or something else?

It means strings in Moztrap native code, mostly they are Python, JS,
html ... stuff in Django framework.

> >     Yes, with Django framework, it is not that complicated to
> >     leverage pootle approach to translate the UI of Moztrap, where
> >     UI indicates any text else except test cases content in
> >     Moztrap.
>
> And that would mean, I need an account to look at TDF's
> implementation of Django?

I am not sure if I got it, but you can just see my git repo directly.

> >     But, I doubt it is really necessary to implement and MAINTAIN
> >     this even if the word-by-word translation has been highly
> >     automated:
> >
> http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=en&tl=de&u=http://manual-test.libreoffice.org/results/runs/

> Ah, O.K. Now I know, why some of the test cases sound strange ... ;)

As stated, this is supposed to only use for UI level, instead of the
test cases translation, which still need human works. The test cases
may be translated by the automation translator currently just because
we did not implement the "test case level" localiztion yet.

> In my experience, translation engines are good to get a short
> overview, what is inside a text. But they loose, if you want a
> reliable translation ... :(

> >     2. the test case level
> >
> >     The content is relatively "dynamic" in moztrap *database*,
> >     usually *localized* sentence by setence or paragraphs by
> >     paragraphs. The similar way of UI level translation does make
> >     sense in the first place, however *database* level translation
> >     is not that easy as what we did in *code* level in a Django
> >     framwork. It may be needed to deeply reconstruct the moztrap
> >     core tables, and hook together pootle like translation content
> >     with the refined moztrap database.
>
> If we could translate it via Pootle, then it would ease the work for
> us translators ... ;) How difficult would it be to implement it?

> >     In another word, yes, technically it can be more complicated
> >     :)
>
> Well ... ;)

Yes, I understand, it is good to have feature, the only limitation is
time and effort. As I have not officially been working as full-time
libreoffice qa for some months, many other works just block actions
from mine:( That's why we are currently have such a workaround for
translation, I hope it won't bring too much pain.

> Thank you for your answer

No problem :)

> Thomas.
> <TOFU removed>