[Libreoffice-qa] REPOENED Status

Bjoern Michaelsen bjoern.michaelsen at canonical.com
Sat Aug 2 08:26:25 PDT 2014

On Sat, Aug 02, 2014 at 07:14:59AM -0700, Pedro wrote:
> I also realize that Developers prefer that Bugs should not be REOPENED
> because it is unlikely that the bug a user finds now is exactly the same
> problem that was solved before (even if the apparent result is the same and
> therefore the bug description is the same). They prefer that a new bug
> report is open. This is a major clue that REOPENED shouldn't even be visible
> to users...

Yeah. FWIW in an ideal work with unlimited development and QA ressources it
would be like this:

- developer puts bug in state RESOLVED/FIXED, when this is fixed on any branch
- user/QA checks the fix is working as expected and if it is, moves the bug to
  VERIFIED/FIXED. Otherwise, the developer is notified and the bug stays in
  RESOLVED/FIXED for clarification with the developer. If the developer agrees
  the fix is incomplete, he moves the bug back to REOPENED.
- upon release of the software from the branch containing the fix, all VERIFIED
  bugs move to CLOSED. Only those fixes and features (which are verified and
  released) are advertised.

Except ... we dont have the ressources for such a workflow yet (and I doubt we
should fully aim for that, as it is quite a costly way to run things). OTOH
some more verifying of fixes and prerelease testing wouldnt be a Bad Thing.

IMHO, just regluarly watching the bugs that were recently moved to REOPENED
should work well on a practical level for now though.

Best,

Bjoern