[Libreoffice-qa] DLP Projects as products?

David Tardon dtardon at redhat.com
Thu Feb 12 07:52:45 PST 2015

Hi,

On Thu, Feb 12, 2015 at 02:17:10PM +0100, Bjoern Michaelsen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Thu, Feb 12, 2015 at 01:46:24PM +0100, David Tardon wrote:
> > I disagree. The libraries are separate projects, not components of a
> > single project. Also, an user reporting a bug for one of the libraries
> > might not even know about DLP. So hiding the libraries under DLP label
> > would not be user friendly.
>
> True from a technical point of view. But being the devils advocate here: Maybe
> DLP should consider syncing these separate projects and release them as a
> consistent collection.

I do not even quite understand what you mean by it. To merge all the
libraries into one? Or to always release everything whether there has
been any change or not? I do not see any advantage in doing that. All I
can see are disadvantages.

We do not want "one library to rule them all", with 42 MB tarball and
dozens of dependencies. We want small, independent libraries, that other
projects can use as they need them. There is currently _one_ project
that uses _all_ DLP libraries and that is LibreOffice. Every other
project uses just a few of them.

> If anything, LibreOffice (and in a different realm:
> systemd) has shown this to have significant marketing, branding and release
> engineering advantages.

How would it help with any of that? I would still have to do the same
pre-release work and there would be the same online announcement. Only
it would not be for a single library but for a "consistent collection".

D.