[Libreoffice-qa] Bugzilla: Adding new Status for 'abandoned' bugs?

Hung Mark marklh9 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 9 15:28:20 PST 2015

Hi,

Just  random thought about the discussion. Please ignore me if it didn't
sounds good.

How about "discontinued" instead of "abandoned", with some automatic
message to describe why it is discontinued.

Note that sometimes user just fail and can't find procedure to reproduce on
his own.
For example, document might fail to open or formatted text might change
when saved file reopened.
It needs some kind of profession to describe what have been done.
Sometimes even developers won't be able to reproduce the issue even he or
she see it happen.
So I think it is a good idea to blame any side.

> Joel Madero wrote:
>

>>> I think we should keep labeling those as INVALID
>>>
>>> IMHO the time spent to implement this new
>>> ABANDONED/EXPIRED/WHATEVERstate will be almost useless...
>>>
>>> in both cases the fault of the bug closure is the reporting user
>>> so I really do not care at all being diplomatic with people who don't
>>> provide necessary informations.
>>>

>> To put this in context - this began after several users over the course
>> of a few weeks got quite irate at the WFM/Invalid status.
>>

> I don't understand why those people should feel irate or offended if the
> INVALID state is due to their deficiency to provide a valide testcase or
> answers to legitimate QA questions...
>
> most of the time you got an INVALID tag after 7 months of inactivity...
> so, again, no reason to blame QA if you can't answer questions after 7
> months
>
> I tend to agree that INVALID is accurate but if ABANDONED and/or EXPIRED
>> will make
>> them feel better, that's fine.
>>

> anyway, whatever you decide is ok for me.
> but I think we are paying too much attention to users who are not giving a
> valualble contribution to Bugzilla and LibO in general
>

> I really don't care much about feelings of bad bug submitters.
> probably most of them would deserve a PEBKAC status :-)
>

> This will mostly be used by the automatic
>> pings and most QA people probably won't have to do much to maintain this
>> new status.
>>

>> Best,
>> Joel
>>

> bye, Tommy