[Libreoffice-ux-advise] Manage Names Dialog hit master

Christoph Noack christoph at dogmatux.com
Mon Dec 5 13:20:41 PST 2011

Hi Markus, Astron, all!

@ Astron: Thanks for your incredible help during my time being
offline :-)

Am Montag, den 05.12.2011, 21:37 +0100 schrieb Markus Mohrhard:
[...]
> Then we still need an information string for the case that the formula
> is not valid. At the moment I don't display anything in this case.

So here a small question - are there different cases for a formula being
invalid? Like having the wrong characters, or referring to reserved
names, ... and what not.

The most simple case would be: "Invalid range.".

[...]

> We now highlight the info text if we have an error in the name or in
> the formula. I was unable to change the background color of the range
> edit line or the name edit line.

Mmh, if I could only remember where I had seen such behavior ... I'm
sure there is such a dialog having the colored background on error
cases.

However, what I've noticed is that the error message (Invalid name) is
shown although there is no name entered. If the name is not entered yet
(text field is empty), then please show the default message. That might
sound friendlier to users :-)

Some visual fine tuning:
      * please place the center in the mid of the rectangle (still
        left-aligned)
      * the background color for errors should be yellow instead of blue
        (has rather neutral meaning)

And a question: Is it intended that we jump to the range entry once we
open the dialog? To me it makes most sense if we start with the topmost
entry (assuming that the #1 use case is: people pre-select the range and
then open the Define Names ... dialog to provide the name).

> Then again a big thanks to you guys, you made this amazing work
> possible. I already added a comment to the 3.5 release notes and it
> would be great if someone of you could add a screenshot.

Indeed, thanks to you all (especially you Markus, and of course
Stefan) ... a very joyful experience :-) I skip adding the screenshot,
since only a few minutes are left and I think I've found a crasher
related to the header / footer indicators. Will investigate there ...

Cheers,
Christoph