[Libreoffice-ux-advise] The "no border text" feature in Writer 3.5 is not complete

Cor Nouws oolst at nouenoff.nl
Sat Feb 18 15:23:59 PST 2012

Hi Gary,

NoOp wrote (18-02-12 05:31)

>> I truly find that people active here in the community, could have spoken
>> up earlier and if did not do so, now should not support complains from
>> others in the sense that they agree that it is a bad decision.
>
> Cor, I appreciate the comment&  concern. However please keep in mind
> that thousands of users that are just now enticed by:
> <http://www.libreoffice.org/download/>
> <quote>
> LibreOffice 3.5.0 Final (2012-02-14)
>
> Our latest, feature rich version
> </quote>
> will have downloaded 3.5, overwritten their 3.x and suddenly discover
> that 3.5 has *significantly* changed the display and ability to view and
> work with documents as in previous versions.
>
> Yes, I suppose that I could have spoken up earlier if noticed the issue
> directly during casual tests of 3.5. However, would it have actually
> made a difference? I think not given the responses on this list, the dev
> list, and the user list.
>
> Further, I don't understand "complains from others in the sense that
> they agree that it is a bad decision". This list states: "Meeting ground
> for hackers and UX experts - get advise here for user
> experience questions.
> Please confine discussions about implementation details and
> decision-making about the right UX solution to the respective lists.]"
>
> Would you care to clarify?

Well, obviously hard for me to explain clear enough in English,
especially when I am in a hurry,
I think it is fair that the people that are involved, carry the blame if
now suddenly users discover that they are negatively affected by the
change. So me too: I did of course notice the change, and made up my
mind (also considering what I noticed from users that step from Word to
Writer and want to get rid of the boundaries) that it was OK.
If now users show up that really need it for some reason, I made a mistake.
So I can consider to put it somewhere in my basket (it might fall out)
and to lend a hand to try to find a solution. Rather then speaking up
load about a mistake or something like that, that others would have made.

(However: since we also had beta's publicly announced, thus even other
users could have noticed earlier, I don't blame myself too much ;-) )

I hope this helps,

--
  - Cor
  - http://nl.libreoffice.org