[Libreoffice-ux-advise] Mirek's visit in SUSE :-)

Mirek M. mazelm at gmail.com
Fri May 25 03:05:14 PDT 2012

2012/5/25 Jan Holesovsky <kendy at suse.cz>

> Hi Astron,
>
> Stefan Knorr (Astron) píše v Čt 24. 05. 2012 v 13:23 +0200:
>
> > > Kill INSRT/OVER (and introduce 'Overwrite' only when overwriting):
> > >
> http://cgit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/core/commit/?id=b30e202861e9bdba4d86e76ba8a6f059da8efc31
> >
> > Here, I would like to propose two things:
> > * make Insert mode harder to trigger, for instance, by having to use
> > Shift+Ins (instead of just Ins)
> > * remove the inidactor wholesale
>
> That is actually an interesting idea :-)  The cursor changes to a block
> one when the overwrite mode is activated, so together with making it
> harder to trigger, it might be OK.
>
> Anybody against this?

I would prefer if the shortcut was kept as "Insert", as that's the shortcut
used by virtually every other application that allows overwrite mode.
Also, could the cursor stay a block even at the end of the line, so that
the user knows he's in overwrite mode?
Alternatively, I've seen some applications use a red cursor instead of a
block, which would be more effective at communicating to the user that he's
in overwrite mode.
See https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B_RBf0YVtxzkZFZTMU5YUmR4S1U for what
it might look like.

> > > There are few more things still to be done, the most important ones
> that
> > > we talked are:
> > >
> > > - more helpful STD/BLK/... etc. selection statusbar indicator
> >
> > Do we really need indicators for the selection modes at all? They are
> > sufficiently hard to trigger and a sufficiently minor use case to
> > ignore them in the main window, I think.
>
> Too late, I've implemented that in the meantime :-)
>

> http://artax.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~kendy/design-list/selection-mode-status-bar.png

Great!
The names for the selection modes don't correspond with those on the help
page (http://help.libreoffice.org/Common/Selection_Mode), though -- could
you edit one of them so that they're consistent?

Also, the icon looks a bit off-center -- do you think you could center it
between the two separators? Lastly, would it be possible to show the menu
above the status bar, with its left border aligned with the separator to
the left of the selection mode icon?
I know I'm being nitpicky here...