[Libreoffice-ux-advise] Advice required on auto text resize (Impress)

Stefan Knorr heinzlesspam at gmail.com
Thu Oct 11 06:15:12 PDT 2012

Hi again,

so, here's a more constructive try to make the autofit feature better:

* First of all, I don't really understand how to enable the autofit
feature on an abitrary new "TextEdit" [1]. The only way I know how to
enable it is to choose a certain slide template. And only then this item
appears in the context menu, so you can turn it off.

* Secondly, there are actually two autofit features: the Text toolbar
contains a feature that even skews text, so it will fit the frame
(called Fit to Text Frame). Skewing text is really ugly and the feature
serves to confuse one when one is looking for ways to turn on/off
autofitting. Granted, it is not very visible. We might want to decide to
kill that feature anyway.

* Third, I don't think it is necessary for people to know exactly what
font size their text is. What's important, is that they know when they
get below the 18pt threshold for readable text on slides. I would
propose implementing a non-modal bar for this purpose or some form of
even less intrusive notification like a small red rectangle next to the
text field  with a tooltip or so.

* Fourth, autofitting should be easily available from the toolbar to
turn on/off. It should also be very visible that it is turned on. So,
how about a button for it directly next to the font size control?

Astron.

[1] Really, we're showing that in the status bar ... that's definitely
implementation terminology in the wrong place. "Text Field" might be
more fitting.