[Libreoffice-ux-advise] conditional format dialog

Stefan Knorr heinzlesspam at gmail.com
Fri Oct 12 00:54:35 PDT 2012

Hello Markus,

find attached a quick shot at some icon sets, modelled mostly after what
MS have. Please recognise that this is only a work in progress, they
haven't been tested very much and I suspect some will look rather badly
on colourful/dark backgrounds.
As these are SVG's you should be able to scale them freely, but you
might want to give precedence to displaying them at multiples of 16
pixels in either direction in some way.

> I have been in the last two weeks refactoring the conditional formats
> dialogs. I finally implemented most parts of the original proposal,
> including the correct menu structure and finally also the ref input
> edit fields. Additionally I remove some of the ugly hacks that were a
> result of the short time the dialog was written in.

Yes, looks a lot better than the version that was in 3.6.0 already.

There are a few things that are wrong, at least in my build (~yesterday
afternoon):
* Once one closes a conditional formatting dialogue, one is seemingly
unable to edit the condition again, instead you will get a completely
fresh dialogue when reopening it.
* There is no colour indicating which rule is selected in the editor
window, instead, one sees "deselected" next to deselected conditions.
IMHO, that's not so good. What I'd hope for is a toned down/more
transparent version of the system selection colour.
* There is no horizontal line after the last rule. That seem a bit odd.
* I don't know if that's an artifact of my GTK theme, but the Shrink
window button looks inset.
* The range displayed in the title of the editor window does not update
when one updates the range at the bottom of the editor.
* There is a number of problems with UI item's width/height and
positioning towards each other (i.e. these are often not consistent
enough) – example: the Range input field at the bottom of the editor
does not extend to the right edge, but stops somewhere at ~80.
Similarly, with a 2-value colour scale, you get a huge empty space
between the Minimum and Maximum.
* When a condition is deleted, no other condition is selected, instead
all stay deselected. Ideally the condition just above the deleted should
be selected then.
* I am not sure if the dialog checks the sanity of input values properly
in all cases, for instance should something like "Cell value is less
than Ghandi" work? IMHO, you should get an error bar about that and
should not be able to save this.
* Also, as Caolan's work on Glade import has now landed on master, would
it make sense to convert these dialogues already or are there too many
things in them that are custom?

> Sadly I still have a little problem with the manage conditional
> formats dialog after making the conditional format dialog a
> ScAnyRefDlg. Therefore I had to disable the Add and Edit button until
> I find an ugly hack to circumvent these problems.

:( Well, I hope you'll be able to circumvent that, otherwise it doesn't
make a lot of sense shipping this dialogue of course.

Regards,

Astron.