[Libreoffice-ux-advise] Any thoughts on fdo#44941?

Cedric Bosdonnat cbosdonnat at suse.com
Tue Sep 4 04:08:32 PDT 2012

Hello Daniel,

On Tue, 2012-09-04 at 12:05 +0200, Daniel Mania wrote:
> A temporary header/footer after a double click should not change the
> layout at all. If the user really decides to enter text, the temporary
> header/footer could remain a foreground layer, overlapping and covering
> the rest of the document. Changing of the layout would be triggered only
> after the user clicks somewhere outside the header/footer, signalling
> that a header/footer should be inserted. Without text having been
> entered, the header/footer layer would just disappear, as if nothing had
> happened.

By "Layout" I mean the whole internal operation that consists in
creating a frame hierarchy from the document nodes. In short, this
operation is performed at every change to refresh the document view and
simply adding a blank header/footer would trigger recomputing all the
pages after it. This is an expensive operation we surely want to avoid.

And there is no such thing as a foreground layer in Writer... (only for
the drawing elements in it).

--
Cedric