[Libreoffice-ux-advise] Recent files dropdown

Jan Holesovsky kendy at suse.cz
Tue Apr 30 06:59:09 PDT 2013

Hi Samuel,

Samuel Mehrbrodt píše v Út 30. 04. 2013 v 14:39 +0200:

> Attached is a screenshot of this feature in Gedit. What I like more
> there, is that it shows only the filename, not the path. It looks
> cleaner that way to me. Tooltips with the full path would still be nice.

Good catch!

Should be easy in fact; it would affect the File -> Recent Documents
too, though.  The code that does this is this line:

http://cgit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/core/tree/framework/source/uielement/recentfilesmenucontroller.cxx#n167

(the call of osl_abbreviateSystemPath).  Do you think you could play
with that a bit to get nice results, please?

> > - should we add a title in the first line ?
> > something like "Recent files"
> > (it was my very first reaction when I compared with the existing menu
> > bar ; only a live test will tell if it's necessary)
>
> Gedit has a tooltip on the Arrow that is different from the "Open"
> button saying: "Open a recently used file". I would like that more than
> adding a title in the first line. But I think the purpose would be clear
> even without the tooltip.

Both should be possible; but obviously the tooltip is easier to
implement :-)

All the best,
Kendy