[Libreoffice-ux-advise] [GSoC] Refreshed Android Impress Remote

Mirek M. mazelm at gmail.com
Sat Jul 20 08:46:50 PDT 2013

Hi Michael,

On Fri, Jul 19, 2013 at 10:26 AM, Michael Meeks <michael.meeks at suse.com>wrote:

> > I noticed that, in your mockups, it's not indicated that one has to
> > swipe right/left to get to the next/previous slide. It'd be great if a
> > little bit of the next/previous slide was shown at the right/left side
> > to indicate that.
>
>         Urgh; the windows phone 8 way of corrupting the screen with
> annoying
> stuff you can't read on the side ? ;-) personally I hate that with a
> loathing and a fear - it eats at my sub-clinical neurosis: "how can I
> clean my display up not to have that cruft on it ?": do Android apps
> generally do that ? also - most experienced presenters put no content at
> all near the borders of their slides since many projectors generously
> crop the top/bottom/left/right (and more ;-) - so we're talking about a
> prolly block-colour rectangle there.
>
>         But - clearly, I'm not a UI guy so ... is there not some other way
> we
> can have some (only transient) annoyance to show people that they need
> to swipe their slides across ? [ is that really un-discoverable ? ]

Well, off the top of my head, when starting the presentation, the first
slide could animate in from the right. That should hopefully get the point
across without being annoying.

It's probably not a thing to worry about -- I think the Gallery works
similarly. However, if it turns out that people have trouble with this
anyway, there could be an animation hinting at what to do. (For example, if
the user tries to tap to move to the next slide instead of swiping, the
sllde could move a little bit to the left, revealing a sliver of the next
slide, and then move back.)