[Libreoffice-ux-advise] some thoughts on the Sidebar

Jean-Francois Nifenecker jean-francois.nifenecker at laposte.net
Sun Sep 29 00:02:04 PDT 2013

Hi Cor,

my time is very sparse as well. Sorry for the delay.

Le 26/09/2013 21:05, Cor Nouws a écrit :
>> -- styles and formatting window: possibility of hiding styles
>> This allows document creators to have a set of basic styles which won't
>> be used by the final users. These only see the styles they are meant to
>> apply. AFAIK, the current hiding mechanism do support that well.
>
> Can you pls explain what misses?

Yes.

In a business/administrative environment, it is quite often that some
people create the templates that are to be used company-wide. In this
situation, the template-makers may create basis styles that are then
given children for actual use by final users.

EG : I may set a paragraph style "MyBasis" with all the basic settings
for all my documents. Then, when I derive "real" styles for different
documents, they inherit from that basis style.

The basis style is not meant for users but only for styles conception.

What I'd like, and unless I missed smthg here, is the ability to hide
the basis style from the users view. IOW, only give users a view on what
they really need to complete their job in their context.

Hopefully I was clear enough, that time.

All the best,
--
Jean-Francois Nifenecker, Bordeaux