[Libreoffice] Discuss "Easy_Hacks: Remove Sheet From File"?

Kohei Yoshida kyoshida at novell.com
Mon Nov 22 09:26:46 PST 2010

On Mon, 2010-11-22 at 10:45 +0000, Michael Meeks wrote:
> Hi Joe,
>
> On Sat, 2010-11-20 at 03:53 +0000, Joe Smith wrote:
> > Is this the place to discuss this proposal? I don't see any discussion on the
> > wiki page itself.
>
> 	Yes - sounds reasonable.
>
> > I, for one, find Insert > Sheet From File a useful shortcut for importing data
> > from a text file, and would hate to see it removed.
>
> 	Okay ? :-)
>
> > Yes, the same function is available through Insert > Sheet, but importing data
> > is a common operation and the two extra clicks are a noticeable bit of hassle.
>
> 	Hmm; Kohei - did you add this one ? Christoph - do you have a thought
> or two ? :-)

Yes, because this looks like a cheap knock-off of the same functionality
from the menu item above.  IMO it doesn't deserve its own menu with the
same level as the "Sheet...".

But I'll wait and see what Christoph says.  Also, I'd like to see others
(including you, Michael) chime in on this.  If this menu item is indeed
frequently used, then I'll be fine with leaving that in.  But if we
decide to go that route I'd really really like to see it implemented in
a less confusing fashion.

The current implementation just re-uses the same dialog from the Insert
- Sheet... menu, with some default values filled.  But you can still
switch back to "New Sheet" radio button which inserts sheets from the
internal document.  I am not an UX expert (obviously) but to me that
doesn't look like a proper way of interaction.  If the user has already
indicated that she wants to include a sheet from an external file, why
still provide an option to include from the same document?

--
Kohei Yoshida, LibreOffice hacker, Calc
<kyoshida at novell.com>