[Libreoffice] Robert Nagy: Problems with your python library patch

Robert Nagy robert at openbsd.org
Wed Apr 20 01:35:09 PDT 2011

On (2011-04-20 09:52), Andreas Becker wrote:
> Robert,
> my patch:
> http://cgit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/bootstrap/commit/?h=libreoffice-3-4&id=6c3539d8e1dbad13264b862e1344e3c3a8690dec
> your patch:
> http://cgit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/bootstrap/commit/?id=2b03888a918b7020a1f9330686dc531222057573
>
> > as far as i saw the reason to use an absolute path for linking instead of
> > using -lpythonX.XX is that at least debian does not ship a shared object
> > within
> > the basic python3 package so you have to install the -dev package
> >
> Really not.
> The reason is, that the old version does not always work:
> For me, print(distutils.sysconfig.get_config_var('VERSION')); prints "3.2",
> but the library
> is libpython3.2mu.so.
> The absolute path in my patch is always the right one and I do not know any
> disadvantages
> of an absolute path.

On some systems that will link to a *static* library. You changed something which
was not properly tested, so it got backed out, and i do not want to see someone linking
a .so with an absolute path.
If you want to make python3 work correctly then you have to find a way that will not
break anything.
If it's needed you will have to add platform specific code, like
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/subversion/trunk/build/get-py-info.py does.