[Libreoffice] Implementing new symbols in charts

Regina Henschel rb.henschel at t-online.de
Fri Aug 5 07:22:52 PDT 2011

Hi all,

I have got a prototype implementation of the new symbols now, that works
for me. But it contains a decision for which I want to know your opinion
before I work further on it.

The current standard symbols are all based on a square. Changing of
width or height in the data series or data point property dialog scales
this square to an rectangle in the given size.

In my prototype for the horizontal-bar and the vertical-bar the width
and the height in that dialog is still a square, but the bars are drawn
as rectangle with 1/5 height or width respectively. In the chart itself
the snap rectangle is not a square but corresponds to the drawn
rectangle. This has the advantage, that the size remains the same, when
the user switches between the symbols, and the disadvantage, that the
drawn height or width is only a 1/5 of the size in the underlying
graphic in the model. I have seen such behavior in Excel and Gnumeric
too, perhaps because they do not allow to set width and height
independently.

I have not tried the way, to implement a bar as scaled square. That
seemed more difficult to me. It would lead to the situation, that you
need a case distinction on the symbol type every time when calling the
shape factory and the needed size has to be maintained in different places.

See also
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/User:Regina/DraftAdditionalSymbolsInCharts

Do you agree with my decision?

Kind regards