[Libreoffice] Git tags: why not "3.3.4-rc2" instead of "3.3.4.2"

Norbert Thiebaud nthiebaud at gmail.com
Thu Aug 18 13:31:04 PDT 2011

On Thu, Aug 18, 2011 at 2:40 PM, Michael Meeks <michael.meeks at novell.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 2011-08-18 at 19:37 +0200, Gioele Barabucci wrote:
>
>        Why is it worth changing ? :-) certainly anything can be changed; but
> why bother ? There is no problem I can see with releasing 3.5.0.3, the
> numbers increase in a sensible fashion, and can be trivially compared by
> machine and eye.
>
>        It looks like yet-another bikeshed to me :-) I'd be more concerned that
> git tag -l on the 'core' repo has dozens of tags for the same version:
> artwork_libreoffice-3.4.0.2 base_libreoffice-3.4.0.2 etc. personally ;-)
> suggestions for cleaning that up much appreciated.

micahel, that was done on purpose to be able to 'match' before and
after conversion.

each repos before conversion had a given tag... I renamed them
prefixing the old repo name in order to preserve what that tag was in
that repos.
it is not very obvious how to use it, but modulo some scripting and or
some gitk/git rev-list trickery it is possible to use tat information
to some-how still navigate the old history.

btw: gitk --date-order is useful for these case (you'll see all these
similar tag clumped together)

In few month/ few years... if you want to have an idea in which
version a given commit was done... these tag will prove useful.

Norbert