[Libreoffice] Bug 38882 - [EasyHack] Make it easier to select/deselect UI languages in the Windows installer

Cato Auestad bleakgadfly at fsfe.org
Mon Aug 22 07:47:45 PDT 2011

On Mon, Aug 22, 2011 at 2:45 PM, Tor Lillqvist <tlillqvist at novell.com> wrote:
> It was I who initially came up with the EasyHack back when they were still in the Wiki. I didn't really have any specific solution in mind. All I knew was that the current way to do an end-user machine installation from an "administrative installation" (aka "server image"), where you had to specify each UI language *not* wanted separately, was too cumbersome.
>
> As long as your patch doesn't affect a normal interactive installation (where a custom action automatically deselects those UI languages which aren't likely to be wanted), I would say it is fine.

I am going to do more thorough testing now that I've got a better
understanding of what you want the transform to do.

> You say you would attach a transform, i.e. a binary file? I think we wouldn't want to have a binary transform file in our sources. We want the source files for the transform and then additions to the build mechanism to create the binary transform, and to include the transform in the installer.

There isn't really any other source files than the transform itself.
The transform is an encoded XML file and I don't know of a way to
decompile it. There are some tools that can decompile Windows
Installer files but not transforms. What tool did you use to create
the Windows Installer files? The closest thing I can get to a source
would be to edit the source files for the Windows Installer file, but
even those might be of a binary format.

--
Cato Auestad
bleakgadfly