[Libreoffice] Question about VersionInfo resource of Windows executables

Bjoern Michaelsen bjoern.michaelsen at canonical.com
Mon Dec 12 03:53:08 PST 2011

Hi,

On Sun, Dec 11, 2011 at 03:13:42PM +0100, Andras Timar wrote:
> I was hacking on VersionInfo resource of Windows executables and I
> noticed that DLLs built with dmake always have this resource, they
> include solenv/inc/shlinfo.rc. But DLLs built with gmake does not have
> VersionInfo resource by default. Is this normal? Executables are fully
> functional without VersionInfo resource, but I think it is useful to
> have it, because it contains file version, copyright notice etc. I
> would like to ask, if it is by design, or if it is an undesired
> omission.

Well, when I started writing gbuild I did not care to much for the Windows
specific resource files. However, support for it has been later added with
the aptly named solenv/gbuild/WinResTarget.mk. Using it to get VersionInfo
everywhere is possible (it is currently used for example in soffice.bin and
vcl), but I have no strong opinion about it.

Best,

Bjoern