[Libreoffice] making binfilter aka StarOffice FileFormat read-only

Jan Holesovsky kendy at suse.cz
Mon Jan 3 04:27:08 PST 2011

Hi Pierre-Andre,

On 2010-12-30 at 17:30 +0100, Pierre-André Jacquod wrote:

> Thus, there is a major difference: With READONLY, no lock-file is
> generated when the file is openend. With filter without the EXPORT, the
> lock-file is still generated.... This comes during the load process,
> where the SfxMedium::IsReadOnly() function is called in order to decide
> if this lock-file has to be created or not.(Not spotted the exact place yet)
>
> Actually, I think this is not a correct behaviour. If the filter is not
> EXPORT; there is no reason to create the lock-file ? or ???
> Should I consider changing the code of the loading part, in order to not
> create a lock-file if the filter has not EXPORT properties? From file
> point of view, this is the same case: you can not save this file "as-is".

This is a good point - as you say, I agree we can omit the creation of
the lock file.  It would be good to double-check how it behaves when you
have a format where you have one filter for reading, and other one for
writing ;-)  But either way, I don't think that actually creating the
lock even though the filter is import-only is that serious issue, ie.
you can remove the locking of the file later, it is not blocking your
work.

> Second issue I see: (I just though of it right now, did not yet test /
> investigate): with opening in read/write and without EXPORT filter, what
> happens with the auto-save option, after some changes have been done?

No idea, without testing myself.  I think we could fallback to
autosaving in ODF format, if we do not do it yet ;-)

> The filter, despite write is not usable (no export). ...
>
> So ideally could it be: not export, READONLY and pop-up ?? :- /

I'd still prefer not to set the read-only flag if possible, it is a
terribly annoying feature [see the other threads about read-only mode].

> > As outlined above, my favorite approach would be to 'disconnect' the
> > binfilter from the save functionality first, add the dialog on open, and
> dialog pop-up just at the end of loading the document ? will search for
> the right place.

Thanks a lot!

Regards,
Kendy