[Libreoffice] Installation instructions for source code release

Francois Tigeot ftigeot at wolfpond.org
Fri Jan 28 01:27:30 PST 2011

On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 01:06:31AM -0600, Norbert Thiebaud wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 27, 2011 at 10:17 PM, David Dumaresq <dfdumaresq at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > here's where I have gone to get started:
> >        http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Development/Native_Build
> >
> > You'll need to install git to get the source, so don't worry about manually downloading files. Anyway, it's all explained in the link,
>
> Francois, note that this will help you compile the current development
> branch, if you want to build 3.3.0.4 -- and exactly that -- yourself,

That's right, I'd like to build the release.
I'm not interested in git or bleeding-edge development for now.

> you need to
> draw you inspiration from
> http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Development/Old_How_to_build.

Thanks for the link.

> Building from tar.gz is not well documented, because most people that
> build from source, usually have a strong incentive to use git,
> and the few that actually use tar.gz are - maybe -  distribution
> maintainers, which are pretty familiar with the subject matter to
> start with.

Well, I may become a package maintainer in the future but for that I need
to be able to build LO from the released sources first.
Git is fine for real development but I'm afraid it may be too steep for
me now; I'd like to play it safe, try to build a somewhat stable version
without too much bugs. Maybe write a patch or two if something doesn't work.

There has to be an intermediary step between binary users and seasoned
developers...

--
Francois Tigeot