[Libreoffice] MS-Windows : about dictionaries installation

Jean-Baptiste Faure jbf.faure at orange.fr
Sun Jan 30 04:55:38 PST 2011

Le 30/01/2011 13:34, Norbert Thiebaud a écrit :
> On Sun, Jan 30, 2011 at 6:03 AM, Jean-Baptiste Faure
> <jbf.faure at orange.fr> wrote:
>> In my message, the problem is not the size of the installer, it is about
>> the number of dictionaries the MS-Win end-user has on his PC. Many of
>> these dictionaries being not useful for him.
> Is there a severe disk-shortage issue on MS-windows, that make a few
> MB of dictionary a problem ?
> Considering that a naked w7-pro install is already in the 15-20GB
> range I find it hard to believe.
No the problem is not there. It is in the long list of useless
extensions / dictionaries in the Extensions Manager.
Many users are afraid when they see this list.

End-user want to have the choice.
But, he does not want to look a little beyond the default installation.
In fact, very often, he does not read what is written on his screen. But
he want have all administrative rights on his computer. It is not an
adult behaviour but it is a fact. :-(

> if not then this boils down to:
>
> make the install longer, more complex and bug everybody with
> yet-another-panel of questions and maybe save few MB of footprint
> or
> keep it simple and possibly 'waste' as a little of disk.
>
> I favor the later.
I agree (I always do a custom installation ;-) ), but how to make the
end-user understand that?

JBF