[Libreoffice] over-long extensions manager list ...

Michael Meeks michael.meeks at novell.com
Mon Jan 31 02:15:26 PST 2011

Hi Jean,

On Sun, 2011-01-30 at 13:55 +0100, Jean-Baptiste Faure wrote:
> No the problem is not there. It is in the long list of useless
> extensions / dictionaries in the Extensions Manager.
> Many users are afraid when they see this list.

	Ah ! :-) so - this is something else.

	We can certainly fix this; primarily by not packing those dictionaries
as extensions I suspect.

> End-user want to have the choice.
> But, he does not want to look a little beyond the default installation.

	Sure sure - but ultimately, removing one confusing choice (tons of
dictionaries in the extensions manager), by adding another confusing
choice - an extra page & response that no-one understands in the
installer IMHO makes the matter only worse.

	So - Norbert is right (of course); but so are you.

	So - the good news is; that Steven was poking at the dictionary
indexing code - which is in a similar area, and was going to look at
packaging dictionaries just as bundled files, rather than as extensions
- which *should* solve the problem for you. That involves a little
digging in dictionaries/ (removing a -ton- of cut/paste
makefile.mk-age), and some more prodding inside scp2/ to distribute the
dictionaries in a different way.

	Hopefully that'll solve the problem for 3.4 - and/or if you're
concerned - can you contact Steven and help out ?

	Anyhow - IMHO, there could have been a shorter thread here, if we had
pinpointed the root problem that people complain about, and not one
solution to it :-) but anyway:

	Thanks for the report !

		Michael.