[Libreoffice] FYI: Latest Oracle move wrt to OpenOffice.org

Kohei Yoshida kohei.yoshida at gmail.com
Wed Jun 1 16:02:26 PDT 2011

Hi Dennis,

On Wed, Jun 1, 2011 at 6:51 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton
<dennis.hamilton at acm.org> wrote:
> PS: It is personally appealing to me that the Apache project proposes to use
> the tools I already use for other projects (i.e., Subversion and JIRA).  I
> don't have any plans to contribute anything, but it is heartening to know
> that part of the learning curve would be handled for me if I chose to do so.

I wouldn't be so thrilled about their use of Subversion if I were you.
 Many of us went through the period when OOo used Subversion back in
the old days, and all I can say is that Subversion had a massive
scalability issue dealing with a code base the size of OOo that it
brought more pain than its worth, so much so that it actually
accelerated the process of finding an alternative VCS.  Besides, once
you get used to the benefit of using a distributed VCS such as git and
mercurial, you can't really go back to the old, centralized VCS such
as Subversion.

There is a learning curve on distributed VCS, for sure, but it's well
worth it in the long term.

Kohei