[Libreoffice] FYI: Latest Oracle move wrt to OpenOffice.org

Norbert Thiebaud nthiebaud at gmail.com
Wed Jun 1 17:05:14 PDT 2011

On Wed, Jun 1, 2011 at 5:51 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton
<dennis.hamilton at acm.org> wrote:
> I also notice that the Apache CLA is not a copyright assignment, it is
> simply a non-exclusive license with the usual attestation that I have the
> right to grant the license and it is my original work.  (Patch contributions
> apparently don't even require a CLA, but committers do.)  One could make the
> same contribution to both an Apache project and LibreOffice, although it
> takes more work.  For individual contributors such as myself:
> <http://www.apache.org/licenses/icla.txt>
>

> So, in that regard, it is not like the transfer that I understand Sun/Oracle
> required for contributions to OO.o.

That is incorrect. the Sun/Oracle Ccontributor Agreement stipulate a
'join' ownership. http://www.openoffice.org/licenses/oca.pdf

It is essentially the same thing, except that in turn Apache grant
license to everybody to do what-ever they want with the code (i.e not
copy-left)
whereas Sun/Oracle where doing that only to a select few of their choosing.

So, from a Third-Party Closed License perspective Apache License is
'better'... but from a 'community' point of view it is just as bad.

Norbert