[Libreoffice] FYI: Latest Oracle move wrt to OpenOffice.org

Dennis E. Hamilton dennis.hamilton at acm.org
Wed Jun 1 15:51:51 PDT 2011

I also notice that the Apache CLA is not a copyright assignment, it is simply a non-exclusive license with the usual attestation that I have the right to grant the license and it is my original work.  (Patch contributions apparently don't even require a CLA, but committers do.)  One could make the same contribution to both an Apache project and LibreOffice, although it takes more work.  For individual contributors such as myself: <http://www.apache.org/licenses/icla.txt>

So, in that regard, it is not like the transfer that I understand Sun/Oracle required for contributions to OO.o.

- Dennis

PS: It is personally appealing to me that the Apache project proposes to use the tools I already use for other projects (i.e., Subversion and JIRA).  I don't have any plans to contribute anything, but it is heartening to know that part of the learning curve would be handled for me if I chose to do so.