[Libreoffice] Trouble building the redland module on mac

Christian Lohmaier lohmaier+libreoffice at googlemail.com
Fri Jun 3 12:19:31 PDT 2011

Hi William, *,

On Fri, Jun 3, 2011 at 9:13 PM, William Lachance <wrlach at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 3, 2011 at 3:03 PM, Christian Lohmaier
> <lohmaier+libreoffice at googlemail.com> wrote:
>
> True. I guess we do have to keep in mind that people might have installed
> stuff (like libxml) via MacPorts for other reasons. Ideally the build
> wouldn't break in these cases.

Yes, but this just isn't covered yet by the configure script (and as
also a couple external modules, like raptor are included, it is nat as
trivial as it sounds to deal with it - not until someone bites the
bullet and willingly poisons his system with additional stuff)

> [...]
> Ok, if I understand you correctly the issue is that we're not building an
> internal copy of libxml, because pkg-config detects a macports installed
> version of libxml but redland isn't (yet) smart enough to pick this up.

No - the problem is not building an internal copy, but using the
macports instead of the Mac OS X one.

> Can't we somehow make the redland smart enough to use the version of libxml
> configure found at top-level? That seems to me to be the root cause of the
> problem.

Yes, but that's also missing one step, as LO is compiled against the
10.4uSDK to enforce compatibility with Mac OS X Tiger.
Thus it is important that the build uses the Mac-provided libraries to
begin with. As Tor just mentioned there have been a couple of fixes
regarding this just today (the 3.4 branch is not that much affected as
the master branch)

So while not the "root" cause, it is an important aspect of the problem.

ciao
Christian