[Libreoffice] Trouble building the redland module on mac

William Lachance wrlach at gmail.com
Sun Jun 5 11:50:03 PDT 2011

On Sat, Jun 4, 2011 at 10:47 AM, Christian Lohmaier <
lohmaier+libreoffice at googlemail.com> wrote:

> Hi William, *,
>
> On Sat, Jun 4, 2011 at 4:01 PM, William Lachance <wrlach at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Sat, Jun 4, 2011 at 7:55 AM, Christian Lohmaier
> > <lohmaier+libreoffice at googlemail.com> wrote:
> >>

> http://cgit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/libs-extern/commit/?id=4a97a447960d97441d2e151f8ed10ccc4a1b8431
> >
> > Unfortunately this didn't quite fix the problem for me, as there still
> seems
> > to be other places in raptor's configure file which try to get libxml's
> > include/library path from 'xml2-config'.
>
> yes, it is called in different places, but that's the only place where
> its return value is acually reused.
>
> How did you check that it doesn't work for you? if you just pull, it
> is not enough, as the additional patch will not be applied, as the
> build thinks it already did pass that step. rm -rf unxmac* in redland,
> then try again please.

Ok, as discussed on irc, this still really didn't work for me, the problem
being that we were still using the output of xml2-config/xslt-config to do
compile-time checks, even though we didn't wind up using the cflags/ldflags
that these scripts generate. If a user has an incompatible xml2-config (e.g.
from macports, my case), the configuration will thus fail for no good
reason.

Christian suggested modifying the configure script not to use
xml2-config/xslt-config at all. Here's a patch which does exactly that. I'm
not exactly thrilled by the size/complexity of this patch for what it does,
but at the same time it does seem a bit crazy for LO not to build just
because libxml is installed in MacPorts (which is not uncommon: it's a
dependency of ImageMagick for instance).

--
William Lachance
wrlach at gmail.com