[Libreoffice] Debugging crash in 3.3.2 on Mac OS X 10.6.6

Michael Meeks michael.meeks at novell.com
Mon May 9 02:04:12 PDT 2011

Hi Peter,

On Sat, 2011-05-07 at 16:14 -0400, Peter Teeson wrote:
> <smile of satisfaction>

	Cool ! :-) welcome to the small, and elite band of those with enough
tenacity to actually get a build on anything != Linux :-) hopefully the
more such heros we have, the easier it gets to do[1].

> OK Now I have a successful build I would like to work on my original
> issue. Using the downloaded 3.2.2 LO I get a reproducile crash on my
> regular Mac OS X 10.6.6 system.

	Right - so, we think this is font related; so presumably you have some
fun fonts on one system, but not another. Hopefully this re-assures you
that this is a somewhat less widespread problem (?) :-)

> So I hypothesize my regular system is foobar in some way that kills LO
> 3.2.2.

	I suspect just some magic font oddness.

> ATSULayoutGlyphs(TATSUGlyphRecordArray*, ATSLineLayoutLineParams*,
> long, ATSUTab const*, unsigned long, __CFString const*, unsigned short
> const*, unsigned long, unsigned long) + 197

	So - we have little-to-no control over ATSUI - but somewhere up the
stack is vcl - which (hopefully) is passing something invalid in - that
we can fix there.

	So - you would want to re-build vcl with debug symbols; something like:

	$ source ./OSXFooWhateverThisIs.sh
	$ cd vcl
	$ rm -Rf *.pro # the output directory
	$ build debug=true

	That should give you a set of libvcl* libraries in that *.pro/lib
output directory that will give us a helpful trace, and console logging
too perhaps.

	So - I would copy your install across to t'other machine, drop the new
vcl libraries on top of the old one, and run soffice inside gdb.

	-Hopefully- that gives us some way to poke around at the vcl / ATSUI
interface where the problem (probably) lies.

	Thanks !

		Michael.

[1] - FWIW, when I first started on OO.o [ some time ago ] it took a
-month- of full-time work to get my first successful build, so - it
could be worse ;-)