[Libreoffice] [Libreoffice-qa] whacky parallel-install instructions ...

Michael Stahl mstahl at redhat.com
Mon Nov 7 09:05:17 PST 2011

On 07/11/11 16:17, Cor Nouws wrote:
> Hi Michael,
>
> Michael Meeks wrote (07-11-11 16:03)
>
>>> I have about 20+ versions - time to delete some, but then still, I have
>>> many versions in parallel. Just to be able to check in various versions
>>> of 3.3.x of 3.4.x of my own build, of daily builds..
>>> Besides, I some 8 older OOo versions.
>>
>> Heh - so, I'd be inclined to recommend installing the packages, and
>> then moving the results away to somewhere else - that may turn out to be
>> rather more reliable [but will break system integration no doubt].
>
> Isn't that what happens if I:
> - unpack the tar for the installation,
> ( plus the tar for the Dutch langpack,
> and move all the langpack debs to the DEB folder of the install)
> - go to the folder DEB,
> create folder TMPRT there and in that one run
> for i in ./*.deb ; do dpkg-deb -x i$ . ; done
> - and move the whole resulting opt folder to some other place
> - then finaly change bootstraprc for a different userprofile location
>
> (Indeed no system integration.)

1. there used to be a user-install script which could install the RPMs
as created in instsetoo_native not in the system, but in some path given
as parameter (even on Debian), and patch it to use a user installation
also in that directory; have used that a lot until last year or so...

2. it is possible to build a tarball installation set that can be
unpacked anywhere and also uses its own user installation; no system
integration of course.
    configure --with-package-format=archive

of course i have no idea what our tinderboxes do currently, but perhaps
you find this useful...