[Libreoffice] [EASY HACKS] machine translation of remaining german comments acceptable?

Michael Meeks michael.meeks at suse.com
Wed Oct 5 07:23:26 PDT 2011

Hi Noel,

On Wed, 2011-10-05 at 15:12 +0200, Noel Grandin wrote:
> I'm trying to write a machine translation program for the remaining
> german comments in the source code (using google-translate to do the
> heavy lifting).

	Well - it's an idea that has been raised before.

> Is this acceptable?

	I suspect that some of the comments will not produce good results at
all, and of course some of our comments are really rather bogus and
un-necessary.

	Also - it may loose the distinction between carefully translated and
cleaned up files and those with machine translated comments.

> I'm not a german speaker, so I won't be able to vet the resulting
> translation for accuracy, but I've done this before for other
> applications, and the results were deemed reasonable.

	We've had a group of Germans looking at this problem in the past,
Christina was one of them - perhaps she has some suggestions, and/or a
way to do a quick / bulk review of the resulting diff (?) possibly it is
easier reviewing and editing the google-translate output and it may help
speed things up a lot there (which would be wonderful). Christina ?

> I have the basic process working already (see below), but still lots
> of tweaking to go.

	Are you using Miklos' bin/find-german-comments :-)

	All the best,

		Michael.