[Libreoffice] [EASY HACKS] machine translation of remaining german comments acceptable?

Noel Grandin noel at peralex.com
Wed Oct 5 07:54:50 PDT 2011

Hi

Michael Meeks wrote:
> I suspect that some of the comments will not produce good results at all, and of course some of our comments are
> really rather bogus and un-necessary. Also - it may loose the distinction between carefully translated and cleaned up
> files and those with machine translated comments.
Yeah, the results are clunky.
> We've had a group of Germans looking at this problem in the past, Christina was one of them - perhaps she has some
> suggestions, and/or a way to do a quick / bulk review of the resulting diff (?) possibly it is easier reviewing and
> editing the google-translate output and it may help speed things up a lot there (which would be wonderful). Christina ?
The resulting data looks like a unified diff, and it should be reasonably easy to hand-edit to improve.
I've attached some example output.
> Are you using Miklos' bin/find-german-comments :-)
No, I've just been grepping for collections of letters that are common in german, but uncommon in english.
I'll have a look at that script for ideas.
As I said, I have some experience in doing this - I find it easier to make a first-pass translation of my applications
myself, and then let the experts fine-tune it.

Thanks, Noel Grandin