[Libreoffice] Proposal: slowcheck -- some numbers for sc

Markus Mohrhard markus.mohrhard at googlemail.com
Wed Sep 21 03:59:35 PDT 2011

Hello Caolan, Michael,

2011/9/21 Michael Meeks <michael.meeks at novell.com>

> On Wed, 2011-09-21 at 09:50 +0100, Caolán McNamara wrote:
> > So I've now added a timer listener to our cppunit launcher to tell us
> > how long each test takes[1] and indeed it takes about 70ms to load a
> > .xls, 370ms for an equivalent .ods and about 500ms(?!) for an
> > equivalent .xlsx
>
>         Ooh :-) pretty numbers indeed, how can I reproduce them ? I notice
> they
> didn't go to the console (which is a shame), and couldn't see them in
> the sc_filters_test.log file either (oddly).

I'm not really surprised by these numbers - maybe that xls is that fast -
but xlsx and ods use way too much slow uno calls.

> > In an ideal world I imagine the best spent effort would be on improving
> > the import speed for .ods and .xlsx, seeing as that improves the
> > real-world case too.

I don't agree here. In my opinion it would be best to have them seperate but
only test universal-content.ods and maybe one or two other major features in
the normal build target. All the other files can be tested in the proposed
target. Mixing all features in one or two files results in a big clump that
can never be extended. My idea was to have a file for every major feature in
each of the three main filters. And I don't think that using only one filter
is a good idea either. We had too many examples in 3-4 where changing parts
of a feature resulted in misbehaviour in just one filter code.
I totally agree with you that it is too much time spend in a normal build
for unit tests but at least a calc dev should run all of them before pushing
his changes.

Regards,
Markus