Angolan Portuguese, 1990 spelling agreement and the vero pt-BR dictionaries ?

Olivier Hallot olivier.hallot at documentfoundation.org
Wed Apr 11 18:44:11 PDT 2012

Hello Caolán

Em 11-04-2012 09:38, Caolán McNamara escreveu:
> looking at the Brazilian Portuguese spelling etc dictionary that we
> include,
> http://extensions.libreoffice.org/extension-center/vero-verificador-ortografico-e-hifenizador-em-portugues-do-brasil
>
> It looks like it follows the "1990 Portuguese Spelling Agreement", does
> that mean that it would also be suitable for Portuguese as written in
> Angola ?

Well... the Agreement aims to unify the Portuguese language spelling for
+450 millions of souls. But nothing is linear here and some controversy
still exist.

The Brazilians have adopted almost enthousiastically and there is no
loose ends here. But Portugual are still reluctant and some flames are
burning there on the matter. There is a deadline for the adoption some
years ahead anyway, ad after this deadline the speellig should be unified...

Regarding Angolans (and Mozambicans), I think that, if they follow the
agreement, they will do at the Portuguese pace, for historical reasons
specially because they got their independence from Portugal in the 60's
and have stronger cultural ties with Portugal than with Brazil.

So, I had a glimpse on the pt-PT dictionary of LibreOffice and I the
latest date reference is 2006, which suggest that this is not a
dictionary that follows the Agreement. http://tinyurl.com/6ux2y7c

But Vero developer, Raimundo Moura from Brazil also built a Vero release
for pt-PT with the new spelling agreement. The release is in this page:
http://tinyurl.com/7o5732 and supports the spelling agreement.

The extension is Vero_pt_PT_V209AOC.oxt . It is quite updated and active.

My advise will be to user Vero for pt-PT for Angola and Mozambique. But
I put Sergio Marques from Portugal to advise as well.

Regards

Olivier