[PUSHED 3-6][REVIEW 3-6-1] fdo#53280: Reset read-only UI after successful Save As

Stephan Bergmann sbergman at redhat.com
Tue Aug 21 01:27:21 PDT 2012

On 08/16/2012 06:56 PM, Michael Meeks wrote:
> 	Sure - everyone's spent time doing that; like looking for:
>
> 	if (a);
> 	{
> 		always_happens();
> 	}

...which contemporary compilers warn about, anyway. -- But sure, they
could warn about the other case, too:

   if (a)
     sometimes_happens();
     // some deceptively indented comment
     always_happens();

> 	Well - it seems that as each person touches the code, and has a
> different view they change the local scope. c'est la vie. I usually try
> to go for consistency in the function / module.
>
> 	On that basis it's notable that you made that function inconsistent on
> this topic :-)

Yes, using braces is one notable case where I deliberately deviate from
existing practice in a given file.  (Though not in the question of
whether to place the opening brace on a line by itself, which can lead
to that excessive-looking vertical whitespace.)

Anyway, even if we agree to disagree here, the devilishly deceiving
cases I remember all involved if-sans-braces which originally covered a
single statement plus comment (as above), so maybe we can agree that at
least in such cases it doesn't harm to add redundant braces.

Stephan