PATCH (tweaking the "fill in character" support in Calc Number Format Strings)

Noel Power nopower at suse.com
Mon Aug 27 06:54:57 PDT 2012

Hi
On 26/08/12 21:47, Johann Messner wrote:
> Hello Noel,
> [dear valued libreoffice developers and hackers],
>
> please check out on
>
>     https://linux.jku.at/messner/LibreOffice/
>
> the patch file
>
>     patchInfo-26-Aug-2012__against_libreoffice_Master.txt
thank you for making those changes against master, I appreciate it, it
is much easier to see the changes now, I cc. Eike here who also has ( I
hope ) also some interest in your patch ( but more importantly knows....
stuff )

> it proposes some codes adaptions in order to tweak
> the fill in character support in Calc's Cell Formtat Strings as
> introduced in  http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.documentfoundation.libreoffice.devel/28410ose changes too :-)

So, in summary the changes are

a) to change the how the formatter marks the repeating character, it
looks like now 0x1b is 'before' the char to repeat, previously it was
after ( makes more sense to me to have the marker preceding the repeat
char )
Eike, was there any reason for the original scheme that you recall or
any objections to changing

b) in cellform.cxx let cells with type CELLTYPE_STRING apply the format
with the repeating code also. Hmmm now I did see this previously but I
didn't see why the a string type cell would need to apply the numeric
format, so I left it out, I presume this change is necessary for some
types of non numberic cell content, I would guess maybe dates or
something? is that correct ? ( or if not I'd be interested in the
scenario that requires it )

c) same as above except for CELLTYPE_FORMULA, so yes, this was oversight
by me, formulas can have numeric results for sure that could use the
repeating character format support so that part is needed. I guess the
change to the format for the else leg of the 'if ( pFCell->IsValue() )'
test probably has some similar rational as in the string case.

d) some additional checks to prevent potential div/0 which are fine

e) the new built-in formats, Eike are they ok for you? if they are I
also not sure what ( if any ) additional effort is required to
internationalise those formats :/

ps. did you already state you licence intentions for your patches, the
usual is to post some blanket statement

  "All my contributions, past and future, to LibreOffice are licensed
under the terms of the MPL / LGPLv3+. "

to the list, if you haven't done so already would/could you do that please,

thanks again
Noel