Regarding development of a feature for Libreoffice Writer

Cedric Bosdonnat cbosdonnat at suse.com
Tue Feb 28 00:57:00 PST 2012

Hi Atri,

On Tue, 2012-02-28 at 14:03 +0530, Atri Sharma wrote:

> I went through LightProof,and I believe LightProof,in the motive for
> being light,has a limited set of features.They are very useful,but not
> complete(in my opinion).

The idea of LightProof is to get results without false positives as we
have with the usual grammar checkers.

> I want to build a complete,'real' system that can actually understand
> Grammer(sentence structures,grammatical categories etc).I understand
> that will take a long time,but I assure you that,given enough time,I
> should be able to design and implement the system.

I don't think that is possible in the time frame of a Google Summer of
Code. If you want to apply for GSoc, you should apply for something more
reasonable.

Your project should be an external (in the sense of not being part of
LibreOffice core) tool / library. It's basically the same idea than
other grammatical checkers... and I certainly don't want to mess up in
that area as we already have several opensource ones.

> Another thing,I was just wondering if I could put up a part of the
> system as a project for GSoc?Or,if I could interface lightproof(with
> some changes) as a project for GSoc?

Once you have your project implemented as a separate tool / library,
it's pretty easy to integrate it in LibreOffice. I don't think that
would fit in a LibreOffice GSoc: integration is far too small and the
whole thing is far too big.

That being said, if you really want to hack on LibreOffice during the
summer you can have a look at our GSoc ideas page here:

https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Development/Gsoc/Ideas

I hope that helps,

--
Cedric