[Libreoffice] libvisio: how can I help?

Bruno Girin brunogirin at gmail.com
Tue Jan 3 14:29:46 PST 2012

On 03/01/12 21:34, Fridrich Strba wrote:
> Hello, Bruno,
>
> If you are looking at something cool to do inside libvisio, I might
> have an idea or two :)
>
> For the while, libvisio is converting binary MS Visio files in
> versions 6 (Visio 2000 and 2002) and 11 (Visio 2003 -> 2010). There is
> another format that Visio can export to, and it is the XML version
> called also VDX. This file-format is specified (contrary to the binary
> one). If you could come with an abstract SAX interface and implement a
> parser of this file-format, it would fill some gap we have. But any
> bugfix is welcome.

Hi Fridrich,

Yes, I had a look at the VDX spec last year and it is indeed well
documented and reasonably straight-forward, although there are
difference between the 2003, 2007 and 2010 versions as far as I
remember. I assume that all classes prefixed VSDX were designed to
support both VSD and VDX and therefore should be shared between both
types of parser?

I'd be very interested in working on that but in order not to
over-commit myself and to get familiar with the code, I'll probably
start with some tests and simple bug reports / patches.

> Although in vacation, when I see that someone is interested to work on
> libvisio, I wake up to the e-mail writing mode :)

I know the feeling :-)

>> A small missing piece, libvisio's git repo is here:
>>
>> http://cgit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/contrib/libvisio/
>>
>> Looking forward to the patches! :-)
>>
>> Regards,
>> Kendy