[Libreoffice] libvisio: how can I help?

Bruno Girin brunogirin at gmail.com
Sun Jan 8 06:53:00 PST 2012

On 03/01/12 22:29, Bruno Girin wrote:
> On 03/01/12 21:34, Fridrich Strba wrote:
>> Hello, Bruno,
>>
>> If you are looking at something cool to do inside libvisio, I might
>> have an idea or two :)
>>
>> For the while, libvisio is converting binary MS Visio files in
>> versions 6 (Visio 2000 and 2002) and 11 (Visio 2003 -> 2010). There
>> is another format that Visio can export to, and it is the XML version
>> called also VDX. This file-format is specified (contrary to the
>> binary one). If you could come with an abstract SAX interface and
>> implement a parser of this file-format, it would fill some gap we
>> have. But any bugfix is welcome.
>
> Hi Fridrich,
>
> Yes, I had a look at the VDX spec last year and it is indeed well
> documented and reasonably straight-forward, although there are
> difference between the 2003, 2007 and 2010 versions as far as I
> remember. I assume that all classes prefixed VSDX were designed to
> support both VSD and VDX and therefore should be shared between both
> types of parser?
>
> I'd be very interested in working on that but in order not to
> over-commit myself and to get familiar with the code, I'll probably
> start with some tests and simple bug reports / patches.

I've been doing some tests with sample Visio files and I've now added a
grand total of 7 bug reports [1]. I would like to start tackling some of
them but as I'm not familiar with the code base, I would welcome
suggestions as to which ones are likely to be reasonably easy hacks.

[1]
https://bugs.freedesktop.org/buglist.cgi?query_format=advanced&component=Drawing&product=LibreOffice&short_desc=Libvisio&short_desc_type=allwordssubstr&list_id=31438

Cheers,

Bruno