minutes of ESC call ...

Stephan Bergmann sbergman at redhat.com
Fri Jul 13 00:36:44 PDT 2012

On 07/13/2012 09:16 AM, David Ostrovsky wrote:
> On 12.07.2012 17:55, Michael Meeks wrote:
>>     + could we not send mails for committers' changes (Petr)
>>         + hard to do (Bjoern)
> If something is (really) hard to do is very often just an indication
> that one is doing something completely wrong
> ;-)
>
> In that specific case it is absolutely trivially to achive (indeed each
> and every gerrit user wants and expects that behaviour):
> 1. turn off dev ML firehose
> 2. subscribe to watched project in gerrit
> 3. done

Quoting something I sent out re this the other day to the list of ESC
attendees:

"At least in my understanding, firehosing information from gerrit to the
ML was not only intended for the advanced reviewer crowd, but also for
relative newcomers to the project, where the idea is that the discussion
of other people's patches on the ML gave them a sense of how we treat
those newcomers' patches, give them opportunity to pick up advice by
osmosis, etc.  (Whether or not that is what the average newcomer
actually made use of the existing ML traffic.)

"But anyway, you win a little, you loose a little, there's no setup
perfect for all."

Stephan