minutes of ESC call ...

Stephan Bergmann sbergman at redhat.com
Fri Nov 9 01:24:04 PST 2012

On 11/09/2012 09:16 AM, Jan Holesovsky wrote:
> Michael Meeks píše v Čt 08. 11. 2012 v 16:39 +0000:
>> 	+ bundling libre logo ? (Andras)
>> 		+ cf. motivational mail to dev list
>> 		+ around 200k with icons license etc.
>> 		+ is it useful for office suite users (Stephan)
>> 		+ useful for school children & fun in draw
>> 		+ not eager for bundled extensions
>> 			+ built it into the core (Stephan)
>
> It is a bit unclear here; I think the "not eager for bundled extensions,
> built it into the core" was more a general statement than resolution of
> the LibreLogo bundling - like, I understood it so that if we decide to
> bundle an extension, it should be on the basis that the long term goal
> is to integrate that functionality into the core.

Yes, that was my intent.  /If/ we include some functionality in the
product, it typically does not make sense to include it as a bundled
extension.  (As it complicates things, e.g., the extension code not
being able to link against non-URE code; trouble with first-start
bundled extensions checks.  The only benefit of bundled extensions is
that users can override them with later versions without installing a
complete new LO -- that was the original motivation to have
dictionaries, with release schedules varying from OOo's release
schdules, as bundled extensions.)

> I myself would prefer not to bundle LibreLogo, but instead improve our
> extension download / installation experience in general - like some
> 'featured selection' of extensions that we would be able to show in the
> Start Centre, or something.  Of course, until it happens, why to block a
> nice feature :-) - but I don't think we should make its toolbar visible
> by default, which consequently means that very few people will know
> about that anyway; something that is more easily fixable (blogging,
> etc.) if it is an (unbundled) extension.

My main concern is whether to include this in the LO repo at all.  (That
is, even if it is a non-bundled extension, I would prefer not to include
it in the repo.)  We generally suffer from too much code, not too
little, so I'm skeptical about additions.

Stephan