Calc / Kerning

Kohei Yoshida kohei.yoshida at gmail.com
Fri Nov 16 08:06:15 PST 2012

On 11/15/2012 04:09 PM, Bernhard Schiffner wrote:
> Hi,
>
> (this is my first commit here so please be patient ...)
>
> I'am missing the kerning feature for cells showing the result of a formula.

So, there is a technical reason why achieving that for formula result is
very difficult, I'm afraid.

Calc has two types of texts: 1) simple text, and 2) rich text.  A simple
non-formula cell can do either text, but a formula cell currently can
only do simple text.  When you type e.g. AV into a cell, that is simple
text at the time the text is entered.  As soon as you apply kerning,
though, it becomes rich text.  When you reference that in another cell
via formula cell, that formula cell only extract that text as a simple
text, thereby losing the kerning property.

This is due to the same reason why referencing in a formula cell a text
that consists of part bold, part non-bold, part italic, part non-italic
etc. becomes simple text without any format runs.

Of course, it is *possible* to support rich text properties in text
that's a formula result, but that would require intimate knowledge of
the inner working of Calc's cell text handling, and would probably
requires a lot of code changes.

Best,

Kohei