fdo#51004: some progress and 10 years old bug pending

Stephan Bergmann sbergman at redhat.com
Fri Nov 23 00:19:31 PST 2012

On 11/23/2012 03:36 AM, Mat M wrote:
> What about MinGW when building this ab driver ? Should I use WNT zips ?

With "zips" you mean the prebuilt deliverables from module moz that LO's
configure machinery can download from
<http://dev-www.libreoffice.org/mozilla/> (see MOZ_ZIP_* in ooo.lst.in),
to avoid having to build module moz?

I'm not sure producing the relevant zips for MinGW has ever been
exercised by anybody (there are at least none at
<http://dev-www.libreoffice.org/mozilla/>), or whether building module
moz on MinGW actually works at all.  (What I'm pretty sure does /not/
work is to use the WNTMSCII*.zip files for MinGW.)

> If yes, how do we mark as deprecated the other ones ?

What do you mean with "other ones"?  Deprecating what where?

> Based on the fact we do not build moz now, can someone confirm we could
> remove moz/makefile.mk with ooo_mozab and keep moz/zipped/makefile.mk
> with moz_unzip ?

If we continue to need the deliverables from module moz on some platform
(as we do for Windows), I would strongly suggest to keep the machinery
working that allows to produce those deliverables by actually building
module moz from scratch (i.e., the moz/makefile.mk part).  The ability
to shortcut building module moz by using prebuilt deliverables (i.e.,
the moz/zipped/makefile.mk part) is for the convenience of people
building LO, but it should IMO be strongly considered secondary to
building from scratch.  (After all, if we remove the ability to build
from scratch, we are doomed with rotting zips that we can't regenerate
when need comes.)

>  From the Stephan's mail, I conclude --with-system-* are restricted to
> _os != WINNT or _host_os != cygwin.
> That I was not aware.

To clarify, I did not mean to imply that --with-system-* must not be
used for Windows.  I just tried to explain why many of those switches
likely don't work there and nobody bothers.

Stephan