gerrit is missing work in progress feature -- was Re: Change in core[master]: WORK IN PROGRESS gbuildification of jfreereport

Norbert Thiebaud nthiebaud at gmail.com
Thu Oct 4 03:11:13 PDT 2012

On Thu, Oct 4, 2012 at 4:30 AM,  <d.ostrovsky at idaia.de> wrote:
> as already discussed on IRC is review -1/-2 completely wrong here
> (well from my point of view!).
> Actualy gerrit is missing that WORK IN PROGRESS (WIP) feature.

Fine, when gerrit acquire that feature we will revisit that.

> With WIP you want visibility, (possibly) earlier feedback and even tinderbox
> checks.

No. If it is ready for tinderbox check then it is ready for submission.
If it is truly a work in progress that should not be merged, then
there is no reason to waste tinbuild time on it yet.

> In fact if you think gerit is lack some feature, then first thing to check
> is
> what the gerrit's power users did - openstack project:
>
> open stack guys patched gerrit and added WIP feature to it!
> We should probably just pick their gerrit version:

Absolutely no.

Gerrit is a critical _tool_ that we _use_ in _production_

Stability trump eye-candy and convenience features here.

I am strongly opposed to deploy anything but upstream-blessed stable
version.... and even, by prudence, the admin team will probably wait
3-4 weeks after a new upstream release before deploying it.

Norbert