Please Add Barack Obama to Dictionary

Caolán McNamara caolanm at redhat.com
Thu Oct 25 07:16:02 PDT 2012

On Tue, 2012-10-23 at 10:42 -0700, Joel Madero wrote:
> Hi All,
> Not sure who is responsible for dictionary additions but a user has
> pointed out that Mitt Romney's name is in our dictionary but Obama
> comes out underlined. This is probably no good and could be
> interpreted (incorrectly) as a subliminal message by our team ;)

So..., our dictionary is derived from http://wordlist.sourceforge.net/

and Obama was added ages ago to that
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=2779775&group_id=10079&atid=1014602
so e.g. the system fedora en-US dictionary includes it due to that.

What we really should do IMO is to try and resync our dictionary back to
the upstream wordlist one, finding whatever differences have crept in,
e.g. addition of "LibreOffice" and what not and if possible patch them
in as separate patches, like we do for external libraries.

As an aside, I think its worth noting that it can be advantageous for a
spelling dictionary to *not* include every possible word in English.
e.g. "Calender" is a real world in English
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calender
but its a super obscure technical thing, and 99% of the time its a
misspelling of Calendar

C.