LibreOffice Forums Categories Proposal

Simos Xenitellis simos.lists at googlemail.com
Thu Sep 27 16:00:39 PDT 2012

On Fri, Sep 28, 2012 at 12:44 AM, Marc Paré <marc at marcpare.com> wrote:
> Hi Anton,
>
> Le 2012-09-27 12:00, Anton Meixome a écrit :
>>
>> What about l10n?
>>
>> I see in wiki being jforum the selected software. I'm a bit confuse
>>
>> May be a fork between Jforum and CodeRanch? As I don't find the
>> translation framework in JForum
>>
>> Which version? Is important for NL teams
>>
>> is it?
>>
>> https://github.com/rafaelsteil/jforum3/blob/master/src/main/resources/jforumConfig/languages/en_US.properties
>> Or
>> http://jforum2.googlecode.com/svn-history/trunk/src/main/config/languages/en_US.properties
>>
>> Or anywhere here?
>>
>> https://github.com/rafaelsteil/jforum2
>>

> I have received this note from Christian Lohmaier:
>
> "This installation is based on the fork/maintenance version whose home is
> http://code.google.com/p/jforum2/ - with associated forum at
> http://jforum.andowson.com/"
>
> Christian will be in charge of all technical aspect of the forums as well as
> implementation.

At the moment http://jforum.andowson.com/ does not work. I suppose it
will be back soon.
I would like to try it out.

My concern with jforum2 is that it is different from other popular
forum packages such as phpbb or vbulletin (closed source).
Christian should make sure that he trains more admins into this forum software.

Whether a forum works or not, depends on the first few months. There
should be several volunteers that help out so that new users find
quality answers soon.

Some questions will be repeated, so the volunteers will try to write
them down in a HowTo post or a Wiki page. Do not count that there will
always be volunteers to answer the same question repeatedly. Does not
scale.
Something that we do at our local forum is have a HowTo section that
we add there good solutions to common problems, then pinpoint new
users to check there.
A good solution is needed here.

I highly recommend to get new users for the forum to accept a Code of
Conduct such as
http://fridge.ubuntu.com/2012/09/27/code-of-conduct-v2-request-for-feedback/
This will help the volunteers to deal with fights, etc.

In order to motivate users, some forum software have the facility to
say thanks to a good reply. Such a facility will be good to have.

Simos