LibreOffice Forums Categories Proposal

Marc Paré marc at marcpare.com
Thu Sep 27 21:43:39 PDT 2012

Hi Simos and thanks for the tips!

Le 2012-09-27 19:00, Simos Xenitellis a écrit :

> At the moment http://jforum.andowson.com/ does not work. I suppose it
> will be back soon.
> I would like to try it out.
>
> My concern with jforum2 is that it is different from other popular
> forum packages such as phpbb or vbulletin (closed source).
> Christian should make sure that he trains more admins into this forum software.
>
> Whether a forum works or not, depends on the first few months. There
> should be several volunteers that help out so that new users find
> quality answers soon.
>
> Some questions will be repeated, so the volunteers will try to write
> them down in a HowTo post or a Wiki page. Do not count that there will
> always be volunteers to answer the same question repeatedly. Does not
> scale.
> Something that we do at our local forum is have a HowTo section that
> we add there good solutions to common problems, then pinpoint new
> users to check there.
> A good solution is needed here.
>
> I highly recommend to get new users for the forum to accept a Code of
> Conduct such as
> http://fridge.ubuntu.com/2012/09/27/code-of-conduct-v2-request-for-feedback/
> This will help the volunteers to deal with fights, etc.
>
> In order to motivate users, some forum software have the facility to
> say thanks to a good reply. Such a facility will be good to have.
>
> Simos

We are just at the point of setting the categories which is taking place
on the discuss list. We are hoping to hold most of the discussions on
the forums there.

As for the choice of forums, we had eventually settled on jForums and
phpBB with the final choice going to jForums. Christian is in charge of
all that is technical. We are 5 co-coordinators (admins) and already
have a pre-list of approximately 8 moderators (even before starting to
look for them). We are hoping to have 2 moderators/forums, hopefully
more on busy forums. I don't think coming up with moderators will be a
problem and we will recruit more as the forums become busier.

Code of conduct is being investigated by one of the co-coordinators and
this should be ready withing a week or so. I will pass on the link to
the Ubuntu code of conduct to that person.

As soon as the categories are discussed and we come to an agreement on
this (on the discussion list), we will get to work on the nitty-gritty
of the forums site. As we all know, the topic of putting up a forums is
quite an emotional topic, we are hoping that everyone will have a say
with the choice of forum categories.

We (co-coordinators) have already discussed between ourselves of putting
up "stickies" for HowTo's to help users out, but, not really as a
separate section, although, this may prove to be a good idea.

Feel free to join in on the discussion on the Discuss list.

Thanks again for the useful tips!

Marc

--
Marc Paré