Master branch now requires liborcus 0.5.0 or higher.

David Tardon dtardon at redhat.com
Tue Apr 23 01:25:39 PDT 2013

Hi,

On Mon, Apr 22, 2013 at 10:14:50PM +0200, Mat M wrote:
> Le Mon, 22 Apr 2013 19:55:55 +0200, Bjoern Michaelsen
> <bjoern.michaelsen at canonical.com> a écrit:
>
> [Big snip of stuff that flies way over my head :-)]
> >>yourself at least
> >>feature/scenario to the
> >>
> >>meh... we can't demand everybody become a build expert :)
> >
> >I dont think having everyone tweaking on it would be a good thing
> >even, but
> >enough of an idea about it to have a basic opinion on what to do
> >and what not
> >is a good think IMHO.
> >
> One of the main tool for that is documentation. Although we have
> long command names, it is not obvious for everyone what each
> function is supposed to do (means, at least what it returns, what
> will be fed by the eval).

Huh? One of the main differences between the new build system and the
old one is that the new one is documented. Granted, the amount and
coverage of documentation varies from class to class, but in many files
you can find global overview, overview of dependencies, and at least a
brief description for every (public) function. As a random example, in
solenv/gbuild/ExternalProject.mk, about 1/3 of the file are comment
lines.

Note: some of the older classes are documented in solenv/doc.

> A glossary of the functions and a pointer to a Good Use(tm) of it in
> an existing makefile may help a lot.

You can always look at an existing makefile. They have not had much
chance to bit rot yet. Of course, documentation patches are welcome .-)

D.