Native Numbers in ComboBox

Eike Rathke erack at redhat.com
Mon Feb 18 05:36:22 PST 2013

Hi Zolnai,

On Friday, 2013-02-15 17:14:05 +0100, Zolnai Tamás wrote:

>    I've got some question about usage of native numbers (i.e Hindi,
> Japanise, Chinese numbers) related with a new feature.

Cool, thanks for asking!

> This new feature is
> a new toolbar element, a ComboBox, which contains numbers. I tried to make
> this item to use natvie numbers not just ascii digits. So this solution
> allow users to type in such numbers if the locale is "special", but in this
> case ascii digits are not allowable.

Why not? IMHO we should not disallow valid input.

> So the question is that using native
> numbers in such UI element is worthy and with locking out ascii numbers
> this feature will be useable or not?

I have a general concern that this UI element would be the only one
working like this, so my advice would be to not introduce such a special
behavior.

>    This feature has already been sent to review, but taking notice of the
> long reviewing time, I thought the times comes to turn to such person who
> is experienced in such problems and can answer these questions or add some
> advices.
> The patch: https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/#/c/1994/
> The code using native numbers: limitboxcontroller.hxx\cxx - LimitBox class

Having taken a look at the change my questions are:
* why did you manually code the transliteration for this one LimitBox
  control?
* what does LimitBox make so special it is the only control using native
  numbering?
* using a ComboBox raises the question if that is the proper control
  here where only numeric values are to be handled
  * why not use a NumericBox instead?
    * which effectively is derived from ComboBox and NumericFormatter
      so should provide what you want
    * native numbering is missing at NumericFormatter and hence
      NumericBox, it could be implemented there
  * note that I didn't dive into what feature actually shall be
    implmenented with the change, there may be reasons I have overlooked
* the choice to store the current locale and thus not follow a change
  under Options is unfortunate, the locale should be obtained on the fly
  instead

Hopefully I made sense..

  Eike

New GnuPG key 0x65632D3A : 2265 D7F3 A7B0 95CC 3918  630B 6A6C D5B7 6563 2D3A
Old GnuPG key 0x293C05FD : 997A 4C60 CE41 0149 0DB3  9E96 2F1A D073 293C 05FD
Support the FSFE, care about Free Software! https://fsfe.org/support/?erack