[libreoffice-website] Re: Web Administration

Bjoern Michaelsen bjoern.michaelsen at canonical.com
Mon Jul 29 05:05:29 PDT 2013

Hi,

On Mon, Jul 29, 2013 at 12:37:34PM +0100, Andrew Cassidy wrote:
> Obviously I've unnecessarily and unintentionally stirred up a shitstorm for
> which I apologize.

its alright. ;)

> It's not specifically Debian, some Debian-based distributions can also take
> their time filtering packages through from debian. For example, LMDE hasn't
> released a new update pack since March and is starting to fall behind.

If it was trivial for LMDE to just dump the packages somewhere, dont you think
they simply would do it?

> It was also my understanding that official TDF .debs were compatible with
> Debian, Ubuntu and derivative distributions. Again, feel free to correct me
> if I'm wrong.

And they have no dependency resolution whatsoever (as that is not possible
independant of distros). That they work _mostly_ is because most people have
the dependencies installed, or dont use the cornercases in which they are
needed. So its pure luck -- and if its fails you get funny bug reports that
nobody wants or even can properly fix generically for all distros.

We already have enough issues with people, who are unexperieced enough to
cleanly uninstall the distro version of LibreOffice and try to install the
conflicting TDF *.debs and then are in a quagmire they cant get themselves out
of. Encouraging more people to shoot themselves in the foot is the last thing
we need IMHO.

Best,

Bjoern